Home remedies for aphids are simple and inexpensive. Vinegar for aphids, onion decoction and manual insect removal work perfectly. A plant that has been attacked by aphids will also need a shower. Aphids are bothersome pests that feed on plants. They suck large amounts of juice out of them, and this causes them to die . They are found in ornamental gardens, as well as vegetables and potted flowers. These inconspicuous insects ( only 2 to 5 mm ) appear unexpectedly and multiply extremely quickly, which is why they are so difficult to deal with. You don’t have to buy ready-made preparations to deal with their invasion. It is also worth testing home remedies for aphids. Aphids, like other pests of potted flowers, you can try to exterminate, for example, with vinegar.
Home remedies for aphids
First things first (if the problem isn’t too advanced yet), you can try these 3 ways to deal with aphids:
- Remove the aphids mechanically – as soon as you spot the first pests, put on gloves and simply remove the aphids from the plants. You can also try rinsing them, preferably under running, lukewarm water.
- Invite ladybugs and earwigs into your garden – these are our natural allies who will help you fight aphids. These useful insects themselves will appear in large numbers in the garden, if you fertilize it naturally, do not use chemical spraying and leave a corner where you let wild herbs grow.
- Give the plant a shower . In the garden, you can easily spray the plants with a garden hose. You can put potted plants in the shower (remember to foil the pot with soil), and if they are resistant to soaking – dip the entire green part so that the aphids drain out.
The use of natural anti-pest spraying will also be effective . About pryskiwanie bushes attacked by aphids extracts from those they do not like, will help to quickly eradicate these little pests. Try it out:
- Onion decoction
It turns out that onions can be effectively sprayed against aphids. Onion decoction also prevents some fungal plant diseases . How to prepare an onion stock?
- Cut approximately 75 g of onion into small pieces.
- Pour about 10 liters of water over it.
- Cook for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Cool the broth and pour it into the sprayer.
Spray plants attacked by aphids from a short distance. Repeat the treatment every 2-3 days until you notice an improvement.
- Vinegar for aphids
This is perhaps the most popular home remedy for aphids. Just mix the vinegar with water in a ratio of 1:10 and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray the parts of the plant where the aphids are feeding, especially the underside of the leaves. Exposing the plant to strong sun after such treatment is inadvisable, the leaves may get burned, so protect the plant from the sun.
- Garlic extract
Aphids do not like the smell of garlic , so it is worth tackling them with an extract from this popular vegetable. How to prepare garlic extract?
- Squeeze 20 grams of garlic through the press.
- Pour 10 liters of water over the vegetable.
- Leave the decoction for about 1 day.
- Pour the extractor into the washer.
Use similarly to onion stock, by spraying infested plants from a short distance, for several days. This is perhaps the most popular home remedy for aphids.
- Dandelion Extract
The extract of this inconspicuous plant, called dandelion or dandelion, is one of the most effective home remedies for aphids. This popular weed is also excellent against spider mites, honeys and mites . How to prepare a dandelion extract?
- Prepare 40 grams of dandelion.
- Pour 10 liters of water over the leaves.
- Leave the decoction for 3 hours.
- Pour it into the washer.
Application – as above. For spraying to be effective, it must be done on a clear but not too hot day, in the early morning or afternoon. It is good to repeat the treatment after a few days.